Wednesday, October 27th, 2010
Installing Metal Roofs Are Easy For Do-It-Yourselfers
Installing Metal Roofs may be your first step toward safeguarding your home from the elements in the most efficient and economical way. Although the initial monetary outlay may seem high – generally 3-4 times the cost of an asphalt roof – if you remain in the home for a period of years, the cost justifies itself. Experts agree that a home with metal roofing withstands greater wear and tear than other types of roofing.
Call Metal Roofing Systems Toll Free – 866-947-6382
Local Callers – 1-608-663-2687 or 1-414-727-1810
Tips from the Experts on Installing Metal Roofs
Tips for Installing Metal Roofs:
- 1. Make sure the first panel is installed square – all the other panels will follow it.
- 2. While you don’t have to pre-drill holes for your screws, pre-drilling panels will make it easier to get the screw lines straighter. Make sure you measure for pre-drilling accurately.
- 3. If you pop lines for your screws, make sure to use red chalk, and NOT BLUE CHALK. Blue chalk is very difficult to get off and can stay on for months, while red chalk will usually wash off with the next rain.
- 4. If you need to cut panels lengthwise, you can score them with a box cutter several times, and then bend it back and forth until it breaks off, producing a clean edge. You can also use tin snips or drill attachments.
- 5. Screw your fasteners in straight, and don’t over-tighten them. The best way to do this is to set your drill tension, preferably testing it out on a scrap piece of metal or on an area that will be covered over by a ridge cap or other flashing.
- 6. Wear protective rubber coated gloves while working with metal roofing and flashings. This not only protects you from the sharp metal edges, it also gives you a better grip on the metal roofing.
- 7. After you finish installing the metal roofing, make sure to brush off any metal filings/shavings that are on the roof. Otherwise, they will cause unsightly rust spots where they rest on the metal roofing.
Call Metal Roofing Systems Toll Free at 866-947-6382